What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Rockland County, NY? The first thing that comes to my mind is the Palisades Center Mall. Secondly is the ‘Old‘ Tappan Zee Bridge and the ‘New‘ Bridge that’s almost finished.
How about the Bear Mountain State Park? Those are just a few things that make Rockland County such a special place in New York State. Let me show you a few more things.
Where is Rockland County, NY? How far is it from NYC?
Rockland County is the furthest county south in the Hudson Valley Region. It is close to both New York City and New Jersey and also borders Westchester County, as well as, being south of Orange County, NY.
Many people love the county’s close proximity to New York City and it is in a perfect location for day trips from the City or New Jersey.
How Can You Get to Rockland County?
Rockland County is easily accessible by car using the I-87/Thruway or the Palisades Parkway which takes you directly to the George Washington Bridge. Another option to go from New Jersey is taking the Garden State Parkway.
There is a bus line that can take you into Rockland County from White Plains, NY and Tarrytown, NY. In addition, the Metro-North Railroad and NJ Transit have train stops in Rockland County.
If you’d like to get to Rockland County by water, then the NY Waterway can take you from Ossining to Haverstraw and vice versa.
Highlights of Things to do in Rockland County
According to Wikipedia:
“Rockland County is designated as a Preserve America Community, and roughly one-third of the county is parkland.”
Given that information, you can only imagine all the nature that one can explore in the county.
- If you’re interested in parkland, a trip to Bear Mountain State Park, Harriman State Park, and Nyack Beach State Park are a must.
- If you enjoy art and art galleries, then a visit to the Rockland Center for the Arts, Edward Hopper House Art Center, and Garner Arts Center are for you
- For the lovers of history DeWint House & Museum, Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site, and the Old 76 House are great places.
- Annual Festivals are a highlight in Rockland County, such as the Garner Arts Festival, and the Haverstraw RiverArts & Music Festival.
- Many of these places are great for families with children. Included are Garner Arts Center, Rockland Center for the Arts, Dewint Hose & Museum, Edwards Hopper House Art Center, and Bear Mountain State Park.
RELATED POST: A Visit to Rockland Center for the Arts
A Few Things To Know Before Visiting & Exploring Rockland County:
- Rockland County is perfect for everyone
- Many places listed here are open seasonally. Check each individual location for days/times they are open to the public.
- Many places charge an entrance, admission and/or tour fee. Check each individual location for more detailed information regarding prices.
For Additional Information Regarding Rockland County, visit the: