I want to let you in on a little secret……
I am relatively new to Hard Cider and honestly love it! Crisp, Refreshing and Fruity. It’s a nice alternative to drinking other alcoholic beverages.
I was lucky enough, in January, to Stumble across a GROUPON for a ‘Tasting for Two People: Two Cider Flights, Each with Four 5-ounce Pours’ from Bad Seed Cider Company in Highland, NY. I was excited to try it out and taste the variety of Ciders they had on tap.
Based in Highland, NY, Bad Seed Cider crafts its cider from 100% fresh pressed NY State apples.
According to their Website: “Albert was a 6th generation apple farmer and Devin enjoyed brewing and fermenting anything that sounded like it had promise to make a tasty beverage. But ever since the summer of 2011, when these two childhood friends banded together with meager savings and a love of cider, they have been crafting, selling and talking everything cider. It’s their past time, their passion, their life.”
And you can taste their passion in every sip of their delicious ciders. During our visit, we were lucky enough to sample 8 different ciders. The Groupon was for 2 Flights with 4 samples each, so following the advice of the Cider master, we decided to sample 8 out of the 10 varieties listed on their board. They have a great variety of flavors and we enjoyed them very much!
The Tap Room itself was so much fun! As we enjoyed our Cider Flights, we played several peg games and also tried our hand at the Tikki Toss. Needless to say, we will need to visit more often so we can master this fun game.
The Tap Room is pictured below, where you can see that there is plenty of sitting space, as well as being open and airy. The ambience was casual. We were surprised to see the following games available for their guests to use:
– The aforementioned ‘Tikki Toss’
– Connect Four
– Solid Wood Brain Teaser Peg Games
Any of these would make great additions to you home, for Drinking Games and for Family Game Nights
Wiklow Orchards is the Home-base for this wonderful Cidery. For six generations, the Wilklows have grown apples in the Hudson Valley. I was excited to find out that the Orchard is open from Labor day weekend to October 31st, 9-5 daily, every year for apple & pumpkin picking. I’m already planning our fall Apple-Picking trip, so we can enjoy the apples used in their delicious ciders. They also offer tours of the Tap Room on Saturdays and Sundays during September and October.
Stop by and check out this Local place that not only offers its visitors a great place to unwind but also offers a delicious variety of Hard Ciders.
A Few Things to Know Before Visiting Bad Seed Cider Company:
- The Tap Room is Open Saturday and Sundays from April 1st – December 20 (12pm-6pm)
- The Tap Room is Open on Saturdays only from January 1st – March 30th (12pm – 6pm)
- Tours of the Tap Room are done on Saturdays and Sundays in September and October Only and run hourly
- Tours are $6 and $10 with a Cider tasting (please check website for updated information)
- It is suggested to make a reservation for Tour groups of 10 or more people
- It is a Child and Puppy Friendly Establishment
- The Establishment accommodates wheelchairs and access to the top floor and during tours is limited
- They Host several events throughout the Year (Check website for more information)
- They also host Private Parties and Weddings
So, What’s the Secret to Enjoying Hard Cider in Ulster County?
Enjoying it with friends or a significant other…
Bad Seed Cider Company
43 Baileys Gap Road
What is Your Favorite Local Cider House?
Leave a Comment Below…
Until the Next Adventure…