Would you believe it if I told you that the Lower Hudson Valley is home to an array of beautiful parks and gardens? Yonkers parks, in particular, are shockingly different from each other and each offers something special for its thousands of visitors.
Out of all the parks and gardens in Yonkers, NY, (and there are many) one particularly stands out from the rest – Untermyer Park.
Untermyer is not your average park or garden. It is something of a ‘Secret Garden’.
Come take a look inside this enchanting space that can easily be called one of the most beautiful gardens in the Hudson Valley.
This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links mean that I get a little money, to help run this blog, with each purchase you make on this post. This comes at no extra cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more information.
List of Some of Yonkers Parks
As a reference, I am including a small list of other Yonkers Parks that are also great to visit when in the Yonkers, NY area.
- Tibbetts Brook Park
- Sprain Ridge Park
- Bronx River Pathway
- Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park
- Yonkers Waterfront & Pier
- Bronx River Reservation
Let’s Get Back to Untermyer Park & Garden
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s talk about Untermyer. Located on North Broadway in Yonkers, you first notice that there is no fanfare, banners, or over-the-top signs declaring that you have arrived at the park & gardens.
What you do find is a ‘Walled Garden’ discreetly tucked away next to a Yonkers community center and ‘hidden’ from plain view.
What you Need to Know Before Visiting the ‘Gem’ of Yonkers Parks
> The Park & Garden are closed on major holidays from December through March: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Washington’s Birthday and Lincoln’s Birthday.
> Untermyer closes early for private events, so make sure you check their website first.
> Keep in mind that the park & gardens will be closed during icy conditions in wintertime.
> Entrance to the park and gardens is always FREE
> Tours are available, on select days, for a fee (depending on the tour) – See below
> There is some limited parking near the park & gardens in the community center parking lot and there is plenty of metered and non-metered street parking.
> Dogs are not permitted at the park & gardens, except for service dogs
> To preserve this majestic park and gardens, please adhere by their Garden Etiquette
What exactly is Untermyer Park & Garden?
This public park and gardens are a massive 43-acres and encompass the most breathtaking Grecian sculptures found in the Lower Hudson Valley.
This ‘Hidden’ garden is not only majestic during the warmer months when the flowers are in full bloom but remain that way throughout the year.
The Yonkers Parks Department and the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy should be applauded for the efforts made at keeping this place stunning year after year. Without their hours, days and years of dedication to this wonderful place, who knows what condition it would currently be in.
Where is Untermyer Park located?
When traveling all through Westchester County for work, I’m sure I passed this hidden Yonkers Park at least several dozen times without knowing it was there.
That stretch of North Broadway in Yonkers is a busy one (with St. John’s Riverside Hospital right next door), so if you’re not looking for Untermyer, you will pass it.
The park and gardens are sandwiched between the Hudson River Museum and St. John’s Riverside Hospital.
How to get to this gorgeous Yonkers Park
Untermyer is located on North Broadway, right along the Hudson River in Yonkers, NY. Nestled between the heart of Downtown Yonkers and Hastings-on-Hudson, this park is easily accessible by car and train.
Use my interactive Google map (below) to get specific driving directions.
If you’re traveling by car, the gardens are located off of the Saw Mill River Parkway.
If you’re traveling by bus, the Bee Line has stops very close to the park and gardens.
If you’re traveling by train, the Metro-North Hudson Line’s Greystone stop is the closest to the park and gardens.
Days & Time to Visit
Untermyer Park & Gardens is open daily from 7 am and closes an hour before sunset, rain or shine.
During their yearly Grand Holiday Illumination (select days in December until New Year’s Day) the Park & Garden is open until 8 pm.
Are there tours available?
The Untermyer Park & Gardens holds several different tours on select Sundays.
These tours run from April through the beginning of November.
- History Tour ($10) – If you want to know all about the history of the estate, then this is the tour for you. This tour does not highlight and only offers limited information about the plants in the park & garden.
- President’s Tour ($25) – This tour is led by the founder and president of the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy and takes a deeper look at the history of the property and the architecture.
- Garden Tour ($10) – If you want to know about the architecture, plants, garden design and all the things that make this place so beautiful, then this is the tour for you.
> The tours are approximately 1 hr and 30 minutes long.
> Children twelve and under are free
> Reservations are not needed for the tours
> The tours begin near the parking lot at 945 North Broadway.
Also, the tours consist of walking down the steps of the Vista and then up a wooded path, so keep that in mind when booking a tour.
What to Expect when Visiting
Untermyer is the most unique of all the Yonkers Parks. It is grand and envelopes the senses in its beauty.
What can you expect to see during your visit to Untermyer?
- The Walled Garden is the main focus of the visit. The garden itself has water canals, plants and an array of Greek architecture.
- The Vista consists of 135 steps down from the main garden leading to the Hudson River.
- The Temple of Love is a wonderous gazebo showcased among a rock formation.
Prepare to spend some time taking it all in and you may need to visit several times in order to appreciate all of its beauty.
What makes this Yonkers Park such a unique place?
- The views are spectacular from wherever you stand or sit, but this is an especially wonderful place to enjoy views of the Hudson River and the Palisades.
- Untermyer Park was added to the National Register of Historic Places and is maintained by a non-profit organization. They have been restoring the park & garden since 2011.
- During the day (both at 10:30 am and 3:30 pm), Untermyer Park & Gardens plays recorded music for 30 minutes for all its visitors to enjoy.
Untermyer Park & Gardens Hosts other special events during the year:
- The Garden Photowalk – Offered monthly
- Hand-Tied Wreath Making Workshop – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Storytime in the Garden – Offered Weekly
- Yoga in the Walled Garden – Check their calendar for specific dates
- Think Spring: Bulb Workshop – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Summertime: American Songbook in the Gardens – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Trees of Untermyer Gardens – Check their calendar for the specific date
- And so much more…
Essential Tips for an Amazing visit to Untermyer Park
What to wear:
> Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Umbrellas and/or ponchos are recommended during rainy weather.
What not to wear:
> If your planning to walk all around the park & garden, high heeled shoes are not recommended or any other dress shoe.
What to pack:
> Pack a picnic and blanket. They can both be enjoyed in the designated areas of the park & garden.
What to bring:
> Hats, sunblock, and bug repellent during the warmer months.
> Don’t forget to bring your camera or camera phone and Be prepared to take lots of photos.
What not to bring:
> If you are visiting and venturing down the steps of The Vista and/or taking a tour and have very young children, it is advised that you not bring a stroller. There are many steps and wooded walking on a path.
Untermyer Park is located at 945 North Broadway in Yonkers, NY.
Visitors should plan for a visit of several hours.
For additional unique and interesting Outdoor Places to visit in the Hudson Valley, check out:
Sharing is Caring!
When visiting local attractions, be sure to tell them that you found them on Hudson Valley Exposed!
Looking for a Hotel near Untermyer Park & Garden?
Looking for Local Deals? I always find great deals on Groupon.com
Explore my Hudson Valley Map
My interactive map features all of the attractions, parks, museums and businesses I’ve featured to date!
My blog posts are linked to the pinned locations.
Be sure to zoom in and/or out in order to see all the places.
Until the Next Adventure…
LIKE THIS POST?